Alex Nikotina" />
post banner image

ICCRC: Changing the Requirements for Immigration Consulting Programs

By: Alex Nikotina

Published On: November 15, 2016

Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) announced several changes in the admissions requirements for the accredited immigration practitioner’s programs.

On top of the admissions requirements, ICCRC also introduced several other changes for those who are aiming to pass the ICCRC Full Skills Exam, including the change in the language requirement that will come into effect in January 2017.


Admission Changes for IMCD Programs

ICCRC announced several significant changes in the admissions requirements for the Immigration Consultant Diploma programs. Jane Chang, Vice President of Ashton College, shared those changes with us.

“Education programs for future immigration consultants now accept all students, regardless of whether they are Canadian citizens or not,” shares Jane.

“Although the licensing exam still requires one to be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, this requirement is lifted for the IMCD programs,” she adds. “I believe this is a great opportunity for the newcomers to meet their education requirements earlier. Even if they are still waiting for their Permanent Residency, they can already start preparing themselves for their future career in the immigration field.”

Studying at Ashton College

Ashton College is one of the few ICCRC-accredited institutions that helps young immigration professionals meet their education requirement. And according to Jane, education does much more than that. “Beyond meeting the basic requirements, education prepares immigration professionals to their future practice,” says Jane.

“At Ashton College you learn from immigration professionals who work in the field. You can hear and discuss real-life examples, and you even have a chance to get a mentor. This is what makes education essential to becoming an RCIC.”

Jane also emphasized the importance of gaining significant knowledge and skills prior to taking the ICCRC Full Skills Exam. “Immigration law takes a lot of time and energy to understand, and having your education requirement completed early gives you extra time to study different cases, or even gain some experience as an assistant prior to finishing the requirements to become an independent Canadian Immigration Consultant.”

study at Ashton

Changes for the ICCRC Full Skills Exam

If you want to become a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC), you need to successfully pass the ICCRC Full Skills Exam. On top of that, there are several other requirements created to ensure that immigration professionals in Canada are qualified to give professional immigration advice. Several mandatory requirements are identified in the ICCRC registration guide, including:

  • Being at least 18 years of age;
  • Being a Canadian citizen, Canadian permanent resident, or a Registered (Status) Indian within the meaning of the Indian Act (Canada);
  • Graduating from an accredited immigration practitioner’s program;
  • Achieving at least the minimum required score on an ICCRC-approved English or French language proficiency test;
  • Providing satisfactory police certificates from every country in which you have lived for six (6) months or longer since age 18;
  • Completing the Statutory Declaration – Background and Good Conduct attesting to good character and good conduct; and
  • Not presently being an undischarged bankrupt or involved in a current creditor proposal or income garnishment arrangement.

ICCRC has recently announced the changes for the language requirement. Now, the minimum language requirement for immigration professionals in the Canadian Language Benchmark CLB level 8 for English (or NCLC level 8 for French). These new standards were approved by the ICCRC and will come into effect in January 2017.

Graduates who take the ICCRC Full Skills Exam in 2017 will have to meet the new language standards. Furthermore, MELAB English test will no longer be recognized by ICCRC, as it was not yet evaluated under the CLB.

For more information about the changes, or to see the full list of the requirements to become a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, Please visit the ICCRC website.


    View All Comments

  1. Thankyou for sharing this info, it helps us a lot

  2. Harpreet kaur says:


    I am Harpreet, wants to do immigration consultant course. Pls suggest.


  3. Varinder Kaushik says:

    Hi there,
    I am canadian permanent resident currently living in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I am interested in getting my IRCC license please guide me through the process and the other requirements that i would need to complete in order to become licensed. I have done 2 year diploma in Computer system technician and networking in Centennial college in 2013-2014.
    I currently works as an independent financial advisor.
    What is the ielts band requirement?

    • Maria Bychkova says:

      Hi Varinder,
      Please visit this page to learn more information about the Immigration Consultant Diploma program and the process of obtaining your RCIC license:
      As for the English language requirements, the minimum IELTS score to be admitted to Ashton College is 6.0. However, to become an RCIC you’ll need to meet the CLB level 9, which means you’ll need to score 7 points in IELTS speaking, reading and writing and 8 points in listening.
      If you have more questions, please submit your enquiry through the program page (see the link above). Thank you!

  4. Kanchan Saini says:

    Hello, If I worked as a volunteer with the immigration consultant for 3 years then can I enrol in the Immigration Consultant Online Program? At the same time I had started 3 years post secondary diploma but did not graduate from it, will be added for my benefit or I have to graduate from it first? Thanks.

    • Maria Bychkova says:

      Hi Kanchan,
      Please see below the admissions requirements to the Immigration Consultant Diploma program: University or college graduates (graduates of a two-or-three-year program); or individuals with two years of post-secondary education or equivalent; or individuals with a minimum of two years of related work experience.
      If you have further questions please submit an enquiry through this page and our admissions team will be in touch with you shortly:
      Thank you!

  5. Mumthaz says:

    Dear Ashton ,
    This is for your information that I like to follow the ICRCC Immigration Law through online .If I can get further details for the admissions. It will be helpful.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Thank you.

    Best Regards,

  6. Harmeet Kaur says:

    I am interested in doing immigration consultant course from Ashton College. Can you please let me know the requirements and process?
    Thank you

  7. Aaisha khan says:

    I need to know is it possible to study ICCRC or become one if you’re not a citizen ship holder of Canada.
    Can I get details about the educational process and fee structure.

  8. Fardeen says:

    Hello ,

    I was just wondering if the requirement to take the ICCRC exam is that you need to be a Canadian citizen or you can also take it if you have a Permanent Residency?


  9. Naeem ur Rehman says:

    Hi, I am interested to study Immigration consultant course. My overall score in ILETS 5.5 listening and reading 4.5 each writing 6 and speaking 7.00 Am I eligible to get admission in the said programme.
    Early response will be highly appreciated.


    Naeem ur Rehman

    • Maria Bychkova says:

      Hi Naeem,
      We accept the following IELTS test results: academic level with a minimum overall score of 6.0. We suggest that you try to improve your English level and retake the test to meet the language requirement before applying for the IMCD program.
      Thank you!

  10. Sam says:

    We dont get it !! Why you want Celpip 9 !!! Why u r making it so complicated!!

  11. Shammy says:

    Is it possible to study the course remotely from India (by online/distance education mode) and take periodic exams in Canada? How long is the course duration? Thanks,

    • Maria Bychkova says:

      Hi Shammy,
      You can take the program online, however, in order to become a registered immigration consultant you need to become a Canadian permanent resident or a citizen prior to taking your exam. Otherwise, you won’t be allowed to take it.

  12. Daniel says:

    I am interested in becoming an IRCC agent, cost ,duration and location , currently working full time so time and cost would have a lot to do with my possibility of take a course

  13. Aamir Ali says:

    Is it possible to take online classes and take online test from outside Canada such as Pakistan?

    • Maria Bychkova says:

      Hi Aamir,

      You can take the program online, however, in order to become a registered immigration consultant you need to become a Canadian permanent resident or a citizen prior to taking your exam. Otherwise, you won’t be allowed to take it.


    Which is the scheduled place of ICCRC Exam of November 3, 2019?

  15. Harjinder singh says:

    Good day staff
    I am waiting for my permanent residency and i want to join iccrc
    So can i join now and requirements please on given email
    Thank you in advance

  16. Amin says:

    Hello.I have question about apply to rccic .
    Do I need PR for start this course or not?

    I mean can take this course from another country without PR or any other visa!

    • Maria Bychkova says:

      Hi Amin,

      You don’t need to be a Canadian permanent resident to take the Immigration Consultant Diploma program, however, in order to become a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, you’ll need to pass the ICCRC exam. You can only take this exam if you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

      Thank you!

  17. Nitin says:

    Which mode of ielts required for or generel

  18. Leila Mosafa says:

    Dear Sir/Madam
    If I want to take part IELTS test instead of CLB, what level is necessary require for each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening)?
    Best regard

    • Maria Bychkova says:

      Hi Leila,

      CLB stands for Canadian Language Benchmark which is used in Canada for describing, measuring and recognizing the English-language proficiency. It’s not an exam, it’s just the level of English language.

      Currently, the language requirement to pass the ICCRC exam and become an immigration consultant is CLB level 9.

      If you’re interested in taking IELTS exam, to reach CLB level 9, you need to score 7 in reading, writing and speaking, and 8 in listening.

      Hope, this answers your question.

      Thank you!

  19. elora denis says:

    I would like to take this course on-line. I’m a status Indian as well as a Canadian citizen, and am currently visiting India.

  20. Maria Bychkova says:

    Hi Dhiraj,

    Thank you for your interest in our Immigration Consultant Program. Your contact details were shared with our admissions officer who is going to get in touch with you shortly.
    If you’d like please feel free to contact our admissions officer at [email protected] yourself.

  21. Dhiraj says:


    Need info on iccrc course, duration and fee..
    You may contact me on 7785360980


  22. Tommy says:

    Hi, I am wondering if we can submit two language test results, for example two ielts’ passing four categories separately. Or it has to be one attempt to pass all four categories? And also, I have studied in university for 3 years but didn’t finish it, am I eligible for the program?

    • Maria Bychkova says:

      Hi Tommy,

      Thank you for your interest in our Immigration Consultant Program. Looks like you meet the admissions criteria for our program.

      Please contact our admissions officer at [email protected] for further details.

  23. tej says:

    Are the ielts requirements are changing from the may 2019 ? . one of my friend is saying that from may 2019 we need to get 7 .0 band in each module .

  24. Smit patel says:

    Should i apply for iccrc course from india or in canada on visitor visa?

    • Maria Bychkova says:

      Hi Smit,

      You will need to get a study permit to be able to take the Immigration Consultant Diploma Program, which will prepare you to take an exam at ICCRC.

      However, international students are not eligible to write the ICCRC exam until they obtain their Canadian Permanent Residency or Canadian Citizenship.

      Please contact our admissions officer at [email protected] for further details.

  25. Jane says:

    I think CLB 9 is a bit high. CLB 8 is reasonable.

  26. ML Gani says:

    Are they raising English language requirement further? I have heard that it will be CLB 9 in 2019.
    Any comments?

    • Mandeep Bedi says:

      Hello ML Gani,
      Thanks for your comment. Yes the English language requirement will be CLB 9 starting July 1, 2019.

  27. Nikita says:

    Hello.what are the IELTS language requirements for RCIC for FSE exam dated Feb4,2019?Are they changed this year?

    • Mandeep Bedi says:

      Hi Nikita,
      Thanks for your comment. The IELTS requirements are as follows – an academic band score of 7.5 for listening, 6.5 for speaking, 6.5 for reading and 6.5 for writing. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Also of you need any assistance with preparing for ICCRC FSE exam then please get in touch with our admissions officer at [email protected]. Good luck with the prep work for your exam.

  28. Hi Staff, In ICCRC duide book there are mentioned two categories. First one is RCIC and second one is RISIA. In your article you have had only mentioned the changes and way to be get appear and or registered with IRCC couscous for RCIC. Please tell me about RISIA.
    Please advise to get RISIA certification along with RCIC, shall I need to appear in different course or the same immigration course will be consider for both the said exam? Are these two different exams with filling two different fees.

    • Ekaterina Grishko says:

      Hello Aatish,

      Thank you for your inquiry. As per ICCRC, RISIA is an International Student Advisor employed in the Education Sector. In order to become an RISIA one is required to write and pass an entry-to-practice exam (EPE) prior to being accepted for registration by the Council. This is NOT the same exam as an ICCRC Full Skills exam that one must take to become an RCIC.
      At the moment, Ashton College does not offer an academic program for becoming an RISIA.
      Please refer to ICCRC website for more information:

      Hope this helps!

  29. MOSTAFA says:

    Hi , i just finished my immigration consultant program but my status is concention refugee and my permanent resident is under process , is there any way i can do the exam to be regulated

    • Ekaterina Grishko says:

      Hello Mostafa,

      Ashton College provides education approved and accredited by ICCRC. Unfortunately, we are not liable for advising public on the process of becoming an RCIC.
      Please contact ICCRC to find out more about your request:

      Best regards!

  30. Francielle says:

    Do I also have to register a business after passing the ICCRC test? What if I just want to work for sommeone else as an immigration consultant

    • Ekaterina Grishko says:

      Hello Francielle,

      Ashton College provides education approved and accredited by ICCRC. Unfortunately, we are not liable for advising public on the process of business registration or alternative paths of practicing immigration law.
      Please contact ICCRC to find out more about your request:

      Best regards!

  31. Francielle says:

    Hi There,

    Does the IELTS test has to be overall 8.0 as well to take the ICCRC test?
    Is the IELTS and CLB the same

  32. Lucine says:

    Can a person not take the exam if they have had over 10 years experience doing immigration applications, ( no fee) and working with a immigration lawyer? i do not live close to any of the schools that offer the program, and online was too difficult ( i tried) as i was not close enough to do group projects or find books etc.

    • Ekaterina Grishko says:

      Hello Lucine,

      As per the ICCRC website, “Applicants are required to write and pass a Full Skills Exam (FSE) prior to being accepted into the Council”.
      The best way to learn about the process of becoming an RCIC is by contacting ICCRC directly. You can find their contact information here:
      Hope this helps!

  33. Harmeet says:

    What kind of CLB exams are acceptable by iccrc ?

    • Alex says:

      Hi Harmeet,

      Current language requirements for the ICCRC Full-Skills Exam are:
      – CLB 8 for English, and
      – NCLC 8 for French.

  34. Siddhertha Kumer Saha says:

    Dear Concern Authority,
    Could u please tell me why after 3 years completion of the diploma of Immigration Consultant program is not validate in order to sit for the license exam. Student spent lot of money for this diploma certificate. Might be any reason some student can’t sit for the license exam in time. This rule is not good for the students. ICCRC should thought positively about this issue.

    • Alex says:

      Hi Siddhertha,

      ICCRC has set education requirements to ensure that students are well-prepared under the most current immigration law. However, there are still options to do the license exam for those who have waited for over 3 years after their program. Please see the ICCRC registration guide for more information:

      Here is the excerpt from page 11:
      “If you have successfully completed an accredited immigration practitioner program more than three years ago, your OFFICIAL academic transcript must be accompanied by an ORIGINAL academic letter of standing issued by an educational institution currently accredited to offer the immigration practitioner program confirming that, in the educational institution’s opinion, you are deemed to be academically comparable to a current year’s graduate from that institution’s immigration program. Depending on how long ago you originally graduated, you may need to complete one, two or more refresher courses in order to receive the letter. Refresher training may consist of completing a number of challenge exams or enrolling in a new updated course and completing a new exam. Please note that the letter of academic standing is valid for one (1) year only and does not re-extend the academic validity period of your documents by three years.”

      Hope this helps!

  35. sherzad says:

    I have just got my CLB test result. but I heard that CLB is no longer accepted by ICCRC. Is that right?

  36. Vahid says:

    I have got CLB 8 last year. Just I’d like to know is it acceptable or not. I mean do I have to take IELTS exam again?

    • Alex says:

      Hi Vahid,

      Thanks for reaching out! Your English proficiency exams should be valid for 2 years after the date of the exam.
      Should you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to email our Admissions Office at [email protected]

      Hope this helps!

  37. MINERVA says:

    I am interested in taking up the course. I finished a Bachelor’s degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management in the Philippines. What kind of proof should I secure from my school in the Philippines as part of admission at Ashton? Thank you

  38. […] Perry will also be sharing more details on the enrollment process for our Immigration Consultant Diploma programs at the fair, as the admissions requirements for the program are changing. […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Submit Enquiry Form