In order to qualify for part-time student funding across Canada, the government requires students to be enrolled in a program that is 20 hours or more per week and 12 weeks or longer in length, but taking 20% to 59% of that program.
At Ashton College, this means part-time versions of programs which also have qualifying full-time versions are eligible for government student funding. We have part-time versions, in-class and online, of our Immigration Consultant Diploma program. These two programs thus qualify for student funding, see section 3 of this document on Distance Education for the online version.
Students must also meet these basic eligibility requirements:
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person living in Canada
- Be already enrolled at Ashton College in a qualifying program. A qualifying program at Ashton College must:
- be 12 weeks or longer
- have a full-time version of itself that is 20 hours or more per week
- Not be in default on any previous provincial or federal student loans
- Have successfully completed any study periods for which you have received any loans or grants
As of August 1, 2014, all part-time students must apply for part-time funding programs, including federal programs, through the province of which they are resident. Some programs may have additional criteria, which you may find on the student financial aid office’s website.
Part-time Ashton College students who are residents of any Canadian province or territory other than Quebec, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories are eligible for the following federal programs:
Canada Student Loan for Part-time Studies
Canada Student Grant for Persons with Permanent Disabilities
Canada Student Grant for Part-time Studies
Canada Student Grant for Part-time Students with Dependents
The following provinces offer their residents some provincial funding options for part-time studies:
BC – BC Supplemental Bursary for Students with a Permanent Disability
Alberta – Alberta Part-time Grant
Saskatchewan – Saskatchewan Student Grant for Part-time Studies
Northwest Territories – Course Reimbursement