English Language Proficiency Requirements
Since all academic activities at Ashton College are conducted in English, it is essential that all students
possess strong writing, speaking, listening and reading skills. Before prospective students can be admitted to Ashton College, they must meet the Ashton College English Language Proficiency requirements. There are several different ways to do this:
- 1.1. Achieve a grade of 70% or better on the provincial examination portion of BC English 12 or English
Literature 12 or equivalent;
- 1.2. Complete three or more consecutive years of full-time education in English within Canada
immediately prior to attending Ashton College; or
- 1.3. Complete four or more consecutive years of full-time education in English in a country other than
Canada appearing on the list in paragraph 3. These four years may be immediately prior to attending
Ashton College; or
- 1.4. Graduate from a recognized degree program at an accredited university in a country appearing on the
list in paragraph 3.
- 1.5. Achieve the competency standard indicated by one of the Tests of English Language Proficiency
mentioned in paragraph 2.
2. Tests of English Language Proficiency
- 2.1. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Academic Level with a minimum score of 79- 80
(Internet-based), 213 (computer-based) or 550 (paper-based);
- 2.2. The Canadian Academic English Language Assessment Test (CAEL) with a minimum score of
- 2.3. International English Language Testing (IELTS) Academic Level with a minimum overall score of
- 2.4. Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency (MELAB) with a minimum score of 76;
- 2.5. iTEP Academic Level 3;
- 2.6. Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) with a minimum CELPIP Academic
4L level and a minimum CELPIP-General level 7;
- 2.7. Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) with a minimum score 58 or C.
- 2.8. Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) with a minimum score 7.
- 2.9. Duolingo Test results with a minimum proficiency score of 46%
Please note that scores for the standardized English language tests are only valid for a 24-month period
from the date of testing.
3. Accepted Countries
|Antigua and Barbuda||Guam||Sierra Leone|
|Belize||Kenya||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Bermuda||Lesotho||Turks and Caicos Islands|
|British Virgin Islands||Malta||United Kingdom|
|Canada||Mauritius||United States of America|
|Gambia||St. Kitts and Nevis|
|Grenada||St. Vincent and The Grenadines|