14 thoughts on “Foreign lawyers in Canada: How to become Accredited by the NCA?

  1. After obtaining NCA accreditation report of a law degree from a foreign nation, can that foreign lawyer practice as a foreign legal consultant in Canada AND under what visa category should he apply to immigrate to Canada ?

    • Hi Jitendra,
      Please refer to the Federation of Law Societies of Canada official website to learn what the NCA will allow you to work as in Canada.
      As for the immigration, this will depend on what class you qualify under.

  2. Hello,

    I’m a French Notary and leave in Montréal.
    Can I apply for the accreditation and become a foreign lawyer ?
    Best regards

  3. Hello, I have two questions to ask:
    1. How long does it take to complete a Canadian common law degree program?
    2. Is passing the Canadian law school a precondition for eligibility to sit for the NCA assessment exam?
    Thank you.

  4. I would like to have information about this article: Foreign lawyers in Canada: How to become Accredited by the NCA?. I am really interested on this program, if you still having it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Best regards,

  5. I did my Bachelor of Laws in 1966 from Punjab University, Chandigarh, India. I then joined prestigious Indian Police Service in 1967 and superannuated as Director- General in 2002. In 2005, I was enrolled as an Advocate of Bombay High Court. Thereafter, I did only chamber practice to help the poor and the disenfranchised. In 2018, I have come to Toronto, Canada, on PR.
    How best I can contribute my past experience in Law to help the poor and the indigent.

  6. Hi. Your article is really helpful and cleared quite a few of my doubts. The only doubt I have is whether I am required to be in Canada to start this process or can I start this process while I am based in India?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.


    • Hi Shashi,

      According to the official information from the NCA, in order to apply for the assessment, you need to complete the online application form, pay the fee and arrange with your law school or other educational institutions where you obtained your legal education to mail (by regular post or courier) all official and final transcripts to the NCA. Your location doesn’t matter when you start the application.

      If you have further questions, please contact the NCA directly: https://flsc.ca/national-committee-on-accreditation-nca/

      Thank you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *